In this video, speech-language pathologist Carrie Clark explains how to do speech therapy for a child who has nasal emission (or air coming out through the nose when speaking).
Make the Referral:
When these characteristics are noted, a referral should be made to a regional craniofacial or cleft palate team (even if there is no history of cleft) for further assessment and management.
When We Can do Therapy:
- Phoneme-specific nasality or nasal emission due to faulty articulation
- Children who use compensatory articulation productions due to a history of velopharyngeal dysfunction
- After surgical management of velopharyngeal dysfunction to help the child to learn to make the best use of the new structures
How ‘Bout Some Blowing and Sucking Exercises?
ASHA advises against use of non-speech oral motor exercises like blowing and sucking for improving velopharyngeal function. The parts of the brain that control blowing and sucking are not the same as those that control speech production so benefits will not carry over to speech.
How DO we do therapy?
- If there is nasal emission on sibilants only, have the child produce a /t/ sound with the teeth closed. Next, have the child prolong that sound. If the child has a normal velopharyngeal valve, this should result in a normal /s/ without nasal emission. This skill can then be transferred to the other sibilant sounds.
- If the child co-articulates /ng/ for /l/ or /r/, or if the child has a high tongue position for vowels, it is often helpful to have the child co-articulate a yawn with the sounds. With a yawn, the back of the tongue goes down and the velum goes up.
What if it’s Not Working?
If the child continues to demonstrate hypernasality or nasal emission after a few months of treatment, that child should be referred to a specialist for further assessment and consideration of physical management.
For More Info about hypernasality: https://www.speechandlanguagekids.com/speech-therapy-children-hypernasality/
More Resources for Speech-Language Pathologists:
Looking for more therapy ideas and resources to help you provide the BEST services to your clients? Join us in The SLP Solution, our membership program for speech-language professionals! Inside the membership, you’ll find:
- Step-By-Step Guides for teaching a variety of speech/language/communication skills
- Pre-Made Worksheets and Therapy Activities for hundreds of different topics
- Training Videos for dealing with difficult disorders or problems
- Answers to Your Questions in our exclusive SLP community
- Tools and Resources to help you with your paperwork and admin tasks
- Continuing Education through our monthly webinars and webinar recordings
To join us in the full SLP Solution, or to snag a free membership, click on the button below!