In this episode of the Speech and Language Kids Podcast, Carrie interviews chiropractor Dr. Aaron Cunningham of Keystone Chiropractic and Sensory Development Center in Columbia, MO. Dr. Aaron discusses how his clinic is helping children with sensory issues and nuerodevelopmental disabilities, such as children with autism, ADHD, Asperger’s, etc. Dr. Aaron is one of about 60 chiropractors across the country (USA) trained in this special approach that combines nutrition, chiropractic adjustments, and movement exercises.
This episode of the Speech and Language Kids Podcast is brought to you by: my YouTube Channel!
Notes from Chiropractor Aaron Cunningham about Sensory Issues
- International Chiropractic Pediatric Association: Organization that certifies chiropractors for children
- Intersect for Kids: Chiropractic program helping children with autism
- Keystone Chiropractic and Sensory Development Center: Dr. Aaron’s clinic here in Columbia, MO
What does this approach do for kids?
Helps get the nervous system in proper working order so that they can take in information from their environment (including info given during speech therapy) and process it for optimal development.
What can you look for to know if there are sensory or neurodevelopmental problems?
- Not meeting all developmental milestones in the first year (or skipping steps!)
- Being overactive or underactive
- Trouble paying attention
- Trouble following directions or listening
- Playing by themselves
- Lack of eye contact
- Over-responding or under-responding to sensory input
- Not integrating reflexes that are normally found in babies
What three tools does Dr. Aaron use to improve nervous system function in these kiddos?
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Nutrition and diet changes
- Sensory exercises (Neuro-sensory therapy)
How can I learn more about the nutrition side of this?
- Speak with a chiropractor with this training
- Speak with a nutritionist
- Check out this book: The Second Brain by Michael Gershon
Where can I find a chiropractor trained in this approach?
Visit the website for the clinic that is pioneering this approach:
Where can I find more about Dr. Aaron Cunningham?
- Keystone Chiropractic and Sensory Development Center: Dr. Aaron’s clinic in Columbia, MO
- Keystone’s Facebook Page
Thanks to Dr. Aaron for being the very first guest on the Speech and Language Kids podcast. Leave a comment below to let me know who you would like me to interview or what topic you would like to hear an expert speak on! Also, don’t forget to leave a review on iTunes to help spread this podcast to others who would benefit from it!