In this episode of the Speech and Language Kids Podcast, speech-language pathologist Carrie Clark discusses how to help children remember past events and tell you about them later.
1. Remembering a Single Picture
- Show them a picture and then put it away and say “What was in the picture?”
2. Answering Questions about a Book
- Read a story and then ask specific questions about it immediately after like “Who was the main character?” and “What did he do at the ___?”.
3. Recalling Events from a Book
- Read a story and then immediately after ask them “What happened in the story?”
- Prompt them to tell you 3 events from the story and then put them in order.
4. Answering Questions about an Immediately Past Event
- Do something and then immediately ask the child questions about what you just did.
- Once they can do that, move on to asking questions about something that happened right before starting to work on this.
5. Recalling Events from an Immediately Past Event
- Do three things and then ask the child to retell the three things in order.
- Ask the child to tell you what happened during the activity immediately before starting to work on this.
6. Answering Questions about Further Past Events
- Ask the child questions about an event that happened a while ago, like their last meal or what they did after school last night.
- Ask the child questions about events that happened further and further back, like their last birthday party or going to visit Grandma.
7. Recalling Events from a Further Past Event
- Ask the child to retell three things that happened during an event that happened a while ago while keeping the steps in order.
- Work on doing this for things that happened further and further back.
Download the Free Sequencing Game:
To help a child work on learning to sequence past events, click on the button below to download the free game:
More Resources for Speech-Language Pathologists:
Looking for more therapy ideas and resources to help you provide the BEST services to your clients? Join us in The SLP Solution, our membership program for speech-language professionals! Inside the membership, you’ll find:
- Step-By-Step Guides for teaching a variety of speech/language/communication skills
- Pre-Made Worksheets and Therapy Activities for hundreds of different topics
- Training Videos for dealing with difficult disorders or problems
- Answers to Your Questions in our exclusive SLP community
- Tools and Resources to help you with your paperwork and admin tasks
- Continuing Education through our monthly webinars and webinar recordings
To join us in the full SLP Solution, or to snag a free membership, click on the button below!