In this video, Speech-language pathologist Carrie Clark discusses ways to make literacy therapy more relevant and helpful for a teen who has dyslexia and dysgraphia.
- Find opportunities to work on reading practice within the student’s homework or assignments: Look for and practice specific spelling patterns or structures in the vocabulary words that he needs to know for tests or is using on assignments.
- Go over reading assignments together and work on decoding and sound rules.
- The student should be more interested because you are reducing the amount of time he’ll have to study or do homework later.
Find Magazines about Things that Interest the Student:
- Have the student go to the school library with you and pick out a few magazines or magazine articles that interest him.
- Read over the articles ahead of time and pick out some key words that highlight the spelling rules or structures that you are targeting in speech.
- Practice those words at the beginning of the session and then have the student read through the article of interest while practicing good decoding strategies.
- Do activities with those words after reading the article.
Find Reading Materials from Websites that the Teen Enjoys:
- Find out if the student enjoys browsing certain websites.
- Choose reading materials from those websites and pick out words ahead of time that contain the target reading skills you’re working on.
- Practice those skills and then have the student read the story while working on decoding.
More Resources for Speech-Language Pathologists:
Looking for more therapy ideas and resources to help you provide the BEST services to your clients? Join us in The SLP Solution, our membership program for speech-language professionals! Inside the membership, you’ll find:
- Step-By-Step Guides for teaching a variety of speech/language/communication skills
- Pre-Made Worksheets and Therapy Activities for hundreds of different topics
- Training Videos for dealing with difficult disorders or problems
- Answers to Your Questions in our exclusive SLP community
- Tools and Resources to help you with your paperwork and admin tasks
- Continuing Education through our monthly webinars and webinar recordings
To join us in the full SLP Solution, or to snag a free membership, click on the button below!