My sister-in-law has a fabulous pair of snow-flake pajamas that she wears when she wants it to snow. Without fail, she will awake the next morning to snow on the ground! This post is my way of wishing for snow! I’m hoping that if I write about it, we will get our first snowfall of the year! Here are some fun snow activities that you can do at home to improve your child’s speech and language skills.
Snow Activities #1:
Making Snowflakes-Following Directions/Sequencing
Here is a fun craft that can help your child learn how to follow directions to complete an activity. Your child will learn to follow directions and you guys can talk about sequencing as well. Take the following steps and either write them out for your child (if he is reading) or draw pictures of the steps if your child is younger. The artwork doesn’t have to be amazing, just sketch it out to the best of your ability! Here are the steps to the activity:
- Get a piece of white paper and a pair of scissors
- Cut the piece of paper into a square
- Fold the paper in half into a triangle
- Fold the triangle again so the two corners on the bottom of the triangle touch
- Fold the triangle again in the same way
- Fold the triangle one more time
- Take your scissors and cut triangles or other small shapes out of the edges of the triangle. Make sure you don’t cut all the way across the triangle
- Unfold the paper and you have a snow flake!
You may need to show your child how to do each step or simplify it down to fewer steps. For example, you could have the paper ready to to go except for the last fold and then have your child fold in half, cut, and unfold. While you’re doing this activity with your child, talk about what you are doing first, next and last. Afterwards, ask your child questions about what happened and what he did.
Snow Activities #2:
Making Snowmen-Labeling Body Parts/Clothing
I hope you have fun with these great snow activities! Maybe if we all try them, we’ll get some snow! Or, maybe you should keep these activities on the back burner for when your child gets a snow day from school! 🙂
More Resources for Speech-Language Pathologists:
Looking for more therapy ideas and resources to help you provide the BEST services to your clients? Join us in The SLP Solution, our membership program for speech-language professionals! Inside the membership, you’ll find:
- Step-By-Step Guides for teaching a variety of speech/language/communication skills
- Pre-Made Worksheets and Therapy Activities for hundreds of different topics
- Training Videos for dealing with difficult disorders or problems
- Answers to Your Questions in our exclusive SLP community
- Tools and Resources to help you with your paperwork and admin tasks
- Continuing Education through our monthly webinars and webinar recordings
To join us in the full SLP Solution, or to snag a free membership, click on the button below!